Nyheter: Tips för den som har svårt att registrera ett konto: använd inte en hotmail-adress. Välkommen Gäst. Var snäll och logga in eller registrera dig som ny medlem.
Nyliga inlägg
Nyliga inlägg

Kolgruvan  |  Andra spel  |  Övriga spel  |  Ämne: Quick review of Puppet wars « föregående nästa »
Sidor: [1] Skriv ut
Författare Ämne: Quick review of Puppet wars  (läst 8246 gånger)
Grönlöken
Arbetsledare
Antal inlägg: 1531

« skrivet: 27 Oktober 2011 kl. 08:33:39 »

Puppet Wars review

After finally getting my hands on a copy of the game and getting a few games in I thought it was time for a review and summation of my thoughts on the gameplay. I've only just started painting the puppets so no pictures will be included for now but I might update with some later on.

Puppet Wars is a game for 2-4 players but the base game serves 2 people at the smallest available game size, a so called shoebox sized game. The sizes range from 9 miniatures per side to 33 including the master, the last is a veritable puppapocalypse. The goal of the game is to tear apart the opposing master puppet or take control of your opponents work benches, which are the places where you bring new puppets into play.

The board

You play the game on a hexagonal board that, when filled with terrain and puppets, feels quite cramped and this makes the games quick and confrontation happens early in the game. Your first aim is to gain control of the neutral workbenches around the map to establish board control and to be able to bring out puppets closer to the enemy.

Even though a puppet can only move 2 hexagons per activation (called an animation in this game) the small board lets you reach the enemy after so little as 2 activations with a single puppet. Due to being able to animate the same puppet several times during a turn, which is comprised of 5 activations, this could happen during the first turn of the game.

The deck

Random elements in puppet wars is determined by what is essentially a normal deck of playing cards albeit with different suits corresponding to the different factions. In order to animate a puppet you need to have managed to draw, or play from your hand, an animation card with the corresponding suit that is connected to the puppet as well as meet the required number. The different masters in the game also have suits associated with them which allows you to ignore one suit when animating a puppet. This allows you to comfortable have puppets in your toy box with at least two different suits as well as puppets with no suit and still manage to activate five of them.

Combat and doing actions function in much the same way. You flip a card from your deck and try to meet a given value and suit and if you can't you have the option of adding cards from your hand to what you flipped. If you meet the value you succeed and otherwise you fail. Puppets can normally take a two to three hits before being torn apart and put in your scrap heap. Once a puppet is in your scrap heap it turns into an item shown on the back of the puppet's card which you can attach to other puppets in order to make them more powerful or gain special abilities.

Verdict

After playing a few games I must say that I am impressed so far. Gameplay is fun and quick while still maintaining a depth that I have normally only seen in exceptional board and miniature games. Dodge mechanics and alternating activations makes you feel involved even during your opponents activation which is a big plus for me. That the puppets are supplied unpainted is not something that bothers me as I like painting even though I'm not very good at it.

All in all a solid game recommended for just about everybody that likes strategic games and can stand the cuteness factor. If you like the cuteness factor its a given buy any day of the week.
10/10

/Alex
Loggat
Refraint
Gruvbrytare
Antal inlägg: 456

E-post
« Svara #1 skrivet: 27 Oktober 2011 kl. 10:28:39 »

Låter kul!

Hur är gjutningen på modellerna?
Loggat
Grönlöken
Arbetsledare
Antal inlägg: 1531

« Svara #2 skrivet: 27 Oktober 2011 kl. 11:21:21 »

Gjutningen är rätt bra, lite mycket flash för min smak men det är inte hela världen. Nästan alla figurer är gjutna i ett stycke.
Loggat
Sidor: [1] Skriv ut 
Kolgruvan  |  Andra spel  |  Övriga spel  |  Ämne: Quick review of Puppet wars « föregående nästa »
Gå till:  

Logga in med användarnamn, lösenord och önskad sessionslängd

Drivs med MySQL Drivs med PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Giltig XHTML 1.0! Giltig CSS!